Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Man Bag

A recent trend for many guys is to carry "messenger bags" or "man bags". I have found that many guys have tagged right along with this recent change (including myself), while others are still tentative to use this accessory. Before I go over the different points of view, lets talk about their history!

Messenger/man bags are not a new addition to a men's apparel. Throughout most of history, messengers used over-the-shoulder bags to carry messages and goods. In fact, men carried bags over there shoulders before women did. Even to this day, Royal Mail Carriers in the United Kingdom use large messenger bags to deliver mail. Almost every war had couriers that delivered messages in bags.

Some people don't agree with men wearing bags because they think it makes them look effeminate. I think this can be true. It all depends on how you wear it and what the bag looks like. If you are a guy thinking about carrying one and are worried about this, find one made from distressed leather. Problem solved.

You might say, "Well thats nice, but why carry a bag today?" Men carry them for many different reasons but my main reason is this: I usually like to carry around more stuff then will fit into my pockets. It's that simple.

Here is a list of the things I usually carry around....

_-wallet
_-keys (my keys now hang off the side)
_-digital camera
_-camera charger
_-sometimes my iphone (but usually stays in pocket)
_-ipod/iphone USB
_-spare ipod nano
_-set of earbuds
_-another set of earbuds
_-sunglass
_-tin whistle
_-business cards



_-decorated notepad (thanks to Michelle, Gabe's little sister :)
_-a few misc. cables
_-assortment of pens and a pencil
_-Gum (thanks Lane)
_- iphone's Otterbox belt clip
_-iphone cleaning cloth
_-box cutter
_-always my 16gb Flash Drive...

Those are the things that I almost always have in my bag. I also sometimes carry...

_-Day Timer
_-checkbook
_-bank deposits
_-receipts
_-invoices
_-laptop
_-change of clothes
_-germ-X!
_-Frisbee
_-My Bible (I always carry my i phone's Bible)
_-my friends things that have been left at my house ;)
_-things to give to other people


(This is another bag that I'm planning to use
in the future)


I could go on about things I sometimes carry, but I think you get the picture. It is true that I may not use all those things all of the time, but many times, it's nice to have them on hand. I hope you enjoyed this! Tell me if you did!

What do you think about "Man Bags"?

Boston 7/2/09

12 comments:

Jeff said...

Jack Bauer wears a man bag, so it is ok with me! I agree with you 100%!! Nuff said.

Becca Elizabeth said...

You did this post,the blog is no longer abandoned.......*sigh of relief* :P! MAN BAGS!
This trend will sweep the nation fast...... I see more and more guys these days with them. Guys are realizing that pockets can only fit so much ;)
Great post, Joe!
~Bec(who thinks she keeps more in her bag, but wishes she had such an easy to carry instrument :P)

Benjamin Serven said...

Hey Joseph,

You are so right on with the man bag stuff. I carry one too. It's especially useful to carry things that need to be concealed. Like water bottles in museums, and candy to the theater, and....

Benjamin Serven

Emily Swanky said...

YAY FOR MAN BAGS!
(and the one that's still sitting in the school room in scraps!)
o.O
Sorry, Gui!
Glad you found such a nice one!

Laura {{* *}} said...

Everyone has stuff.
(as Iokepa's list attests)
Stuff must be managed or it becomes clutter. (preaching to myself)

Manbags keep Mama from having to wear a seed bag to carry everyone's stuff, and for that,
I am very grateful.

I am glad to see so many available with masculine styling.

Femine~
Beauty with function

Masculine~
Style with function

Manbags fit the bill.


{{* *}}

Anna Grace said...

Frankly, I've never had a problem with men carrying bags.
As long as they aren't:
-pink
-glittery
-frilly
-feminine
***Exception to these rules are when I see a man who carries a "girly bag" out of love. (i.e. In the store with a lady he wishes to relieve of her heavy burden.) :D
Cheers for MAN bags!
~Anna :)

Emily said...

Loved it Joe,

I definitely agree with Anna. It's not like guys should be confined to their pockets! And it totally makes sense (and is very sweet) when the man carries the glittery purse or pink floral diaper bag for the lady. :)

Enjoyed it!
Em

Joel said...

I agree totally with you about carrying one (considering getting one myself). I do have one question though....What is the tin whistle for??? LOL just was curious why you would carry one around...anyway Great post Joseph.

hahah Jeff!! Jack Bauer is cool :-P

Joseph H. said...

Thats an easy question Joel! I'm learning to play it! I wanna get a low whistle later. We shall see.

Emily said...

Ok, I just realized that this only has 9 comments. And I told you I'd comment til it got to 10. So here it is! Hahah

That was easy :D

Anonymous said...

Aren't "Man Bags" also sometimes called "Possible bags" or "Haversacks"? I have heard Little Bear talk about them many times and love how he goes on saying, as fast as he can, that you can carry everything you possibly will ever need in a possible bag etc....or you can have everything you have in a Haversack [which I believe was actually named after a gentleman named Haver...or some such thing]...('course he says it much better than I). Have you ever heard Little Bear talk of them before? It's quite interesting. He carries one too, of course.
Anyway, I always thought they were sensible. My brothers are always losing things out of their pockets or calling people on their cell phones when they sit down. lol. :) That wouldn't happen with a Man Bag!!

Joseph H. said...

Hey Mell,
I have heard of "haversacks" but "Possible bags" is a new one for me. :) They are also called murses which isn't really my favorite.

I have heard Little Bear speak a few times! And now that you mention it, I think I remember Him talking about bags. He's great. Thanks for your comment.

Joseph