Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hogwarts, Magic, and Middle Earth

Last Tuesday came the release of the sixth Harry Potter movie. In honor of the film series nearing its close, I have decided to compose an article on what the Bible says about witchcraft. I also want to explain how the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter are very different, because many Christians make the mistake of putting these two fantasies in the same place... the trash bin. I think I'll start with a verse.

Deuteronomy 18:10 -13
Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you.

This verse alone should give every Christian a shock when they think of going to see a movie that glorifies "good witches". But instead, we have an army of Christians going to support and fill their minds with scenes of ungodliness. I'm going to make a point that has been made before. Instead of witchcraft, insert something else that is equally abominable to the Lord....

This is a story about "good" Homosexuals and bad Homosexuals. The "good" ones go to school the learn the art of their craft. They need to learn as much as they can so they can beat back the bad Homosexuals and save the planet..... Need I say more?

Do you think that such a movie would be watched by Christians? Of course not. Than why do we tolerate and even watch something that is equally displeasing to God? The answer is simple.

Most Christians care more about entertaining themselves than they do about pleasing the Lord. I've heard Christians give the following argument... "Witchcraft is not really real, its just fun to watch". Do these people read their Bibles? Obviously God knew that witchcraft was real enough to put in His Holy Book.

Galatians 5:19-21
The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

In Galations, it talks about the obvious acts of sinful nature, and witchcraft is one of them! I believe there is NO room for debate when we think about "good" witchcraft. I think it's clear that anyone who truly desires to do God's will, will boycott all things Harry Potter.

_________________________________________________________________


With all that said, I'm sure you all wondering why I think the the Lord of the Rings is perfectly acceptable. After all, there are wizards in the LOTR. The answer to this question is a long one and requires much history and knowledge of the books. I will try to explain to the best of my ability. I will try telling the entire history of the wizards in Middle Earth briefly . Here we go....

The Istari (wizards) were sent from the west by Eru Ilúvatar(Creator God) to save Middle Earth in the third age from Sauron a fallen Maiar (angel). The Istari were also Maiar before they were sent to Middle Earth stripped of most their power and memory. They were sent to Middle Earth in the guise of old men. And instead of using their powers they were meant to use their wisdom to help the free people remain free. Wizard is just a word Tolkien used to describe these sent beings. None of the wizards ever use witchcraft. They have little magic about them at all. Their mission was decribed at the end of the LOTR in appendix B:
It was afterwards said that they came out of the far West and were messengers sent to contest the power of Sauron, and to unite all those who had the will to resist him; but they were forbidden to match his power with power, or to seek to dominate Elves or Men by force and fear.
So, one of the reasons you don't see Gandalf using magic is because he has been told not to. In this way they could help the people with knowledge instead of lording over them with powers.

There were a total a five wizards sent to Middle Earth to contend with Sauron. These are the only wizards in all the history of Middle Earth. There names were Saruman the White, Gandalf the Grey, Radagast the Brown, and the mysterious blue wizards Alatar and Pallando. It is suggested by Tolkien that all these wizards lost sight of their task of helping the free people and were drawn away by there own pursuits. All of them expect for Gandalf of course. Gandalf is the only one who stays the course set by the Valar. He becomes the last beacon of hope for the seemingly doomed people of Middle Earth.

As everyone knows, the LOTR is not an allegory, but there are many many Christian themes such as this scattered throughout Tolkien's world. Tolkien wanted nothing more from his works than for people to see God in them through his many themes. Tolkien's least favorite criticism was that his works contained no religion. I think it is up to the reader to make his/her final judgment on the LOTR. But I will say, the more I learn and understand about Tolkien, the more I think that his literature is not only acceptable, but edifying.

23 comments:

Jean Marie said...

The best yet of "The Winning Road"!! This was a great article, Joseph, extremely well written! Good job!

I very much agree...in fact, wholeheartedly, with you. I cannot ever enjoy Harry Potter, just because it contains witchcraft, and I do enjoy LOTR to most extents. :)

Thank you so much for again making this clear in my mind! God bless.

~ Jean Marie

Marci said...

Some good thoughts. I was going to make a comment, but I didn't want you to think I was pickin' at you or trying to be ugly. Email and writing on a computer does not convey tone or heart. :)

Grace said...

That was really well though-out and communicated! I enjoyed reading it, and I agree with you!

The Lord of the Rings is amazing. ;-)

Joseph H. said...

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

Mrs B, If there is something you would like to address please do so. I will not take it the wrong way!
Thanks,
Joseph

Jeff said...

Very well indeed!! I did not know that about the history of the wizards, but the thought always struck me that the wizards had no fantastic power, and any "witchcraft used in the story was always on the bad side. very well written old chap. I never could stand that harry potter, there is a girl at my work she likes him. to keep peace I keep quiet. I have to choose my battles there. loved the post keep up the great work.

Marci said...

Ok, here goes... :) I have never seen nor read Lord of the Rings. However, go back to your homosexuality argument. If someone is a homosexual and does not act on it for a time he is forbidden, is it still wrong. I guess the term wizard is what gets me. The Bible is very clearly against such. I am often made fun of because I don't even like the Chronicles of Narnia. I just have a problem using things that God forbids to tell His story. Just my 2 cents.

Emily Swanky said...

Very well written article, Gui!

I do; however, have to agree with Mrs. Marci on this... Why call it that if that's not what it is?
You qoted Deuteronomy 18:10 -13. Then made the statement "This verse alone should give every Christian a shock when they think of going to see a movie that glorifies "good witches"."

Which Lord of the Rings does... if they're not "Wizards" then why are they called such?

I'm just curious... I know LOTR does many biblical parallels and that Tolkien put them in there on purpose... But, just because the concept is there, does necessarily make it right...?

My 2 cents as well :)

Cheers!
~Em

Joel said...

Good article Joseph, I have never seen Harry Potter nor will I ever see it, it is disgusting and demonic. I have not read any history about LOTR or Tolkien, but I have to agree with Emily on the "wizard" element.
Great post though Joseph very well written,keep it up.

Joel

Joseph H. said...

I think Part of this is my fault for not explaining as much as I should have. I already see some things that I should have expounded on, but didn't...

FIRST, the Bible never speaks of wizards, it speaks of witchcraft and those who preform it. I think Tolkien used the word wizard because its a fanaty's novel. It would not make good sense in the story to call them something else. Wizard is not a bad word. The good wizards in Middle Earth have nothing to do with witchcraft.

Some people have an aversion to the word wizard. You could be a math wizard or in this case, a knowledge wizard? ;)

There also is a difference between power and witchcraft, Jesus had power, so did the disciples. Power that was given by God. Not Witchcraft given by God. The Istari did not preform witchcraft in the Blessed Realm and when they were sent to Middle Earth, made to stop because it was bad. God gives Power.

What else could you call an old man with God given power and Great wisdom in a fantasy novel??? I think the biggest point is realizing the difference between God given powers meant for good and Witchcraft apart from Gods hand.

Noah Webster 1828 dictionary definition of a Wizard is:

A conjurer; an enchanter; a sorcerer

Gandalf is really by definition none of these things. Tolkien seems to have his own definition of a wizard. And you know this by who Gandalf is. Which is fine with me, after all it is his own world. So as long as he calls what God calls good, good, and what God says is bad, bad.


Emily said: I'm just curious... I know LOTR does many biblical parallels and that Tolkien put them in there on purpose... But, just because the concept is there, does necessarily make it right...?

Does it necessarily make it wrong? I certainly don't think so. A good story following Gods principles can be used for edification, encouragement and growth.

I think that wraps it up for my comments on these points! Thanks everyone for your comments!
In Christ,
Joseph

Becca Elizabeth said...

Okay let me turn on my thinking!

Me....I am a LOTR fan, and I don't like Harry Potter at all(I actually read the books). It just doesn't seem to have any good meaning in it. LOTR on the other hand has so much meaning in it!

And on the topic of wizards... Gandalf was not there to make magic tricks and to dominate(as these witches want to do)! He was sent to guide the people(the witches don't really like the humans, they want to be apart from them and some of them want to be only power), as all the wizards were, but he stuck to purpose and gave a lot of help to the people and guidance(like Joseph said : knowledge wizard!). It was the only purpose he had, he wasn't there for his own needs or wants, even though he did live like a human.

Then the point comes up...well he has power! Well the power he had was a gift from the "higher power" and he didn't have it in him like these witches do,and he only uses it unless absolutely needed to protect, not at his whim!

Then when you think witches it is associated with black magic, spririts and ghosts, demons and potions...the wizards in LOTR have nothing to do with that!!!!!

Does this help?

Grace said...

Joseph, I still can't believe you read the whole thing. =) I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!

I'm sorta bogged down in the middle of writing on DC....

I haven't seen The Hunt For Gollum, but it looks very intriguing and I'll watch it when I can get the time! I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Joel said...

I think it is one of those things that you can debate over for years. Both sides make good arguments and have their points, but I think that LOTR is a fantasy movie with wizards,elves,orcs and hobbits all of which are mythical creatures, I do not say that LOTR is wicked or wrong to watch it each person has to make up his/her mind about that. That is just my opinion. I really appreciate your article it is very informative and well written. I do agree with you wholeheartedly about the Harry Potter movies they are very wicked and demonic. but anyways I wish I could talk to you in person about it further, communication on message boards lose so much in the translation and I don't communicate very well in writing to begin with lol. again thanx for the article

Joseph H. said...

Well Joel, I think its true that this is a topic that could be discussed in greater detail. But I don't think leaving comments is the best system. If there are two people from each side of thinking, I'm up for hosting a discussion. The discussion will be open for anyone, but we need a least 2 people from each side. Any takers?

Grace- I can't believe you haven't seen the Hunt for Gollum!!! Coolest fan film I've ever seen. They did a super job on it if you ask me.
I read peoples blogs on my itouch if its a long post. So after I load the Page from home I can take it wherever. Cause you know, its a full time job keeping up with my blog list!
haha, :)
Joseph!

Zach said...

Hey I like the article Joseph. Very insightful. Just to throw something out if you didn't know already, from what I recall, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolken both said that their writings were not allegories or metaphors relating back to Scripture. They were more recreational, and I must say enjoyable. Keep up with the good work.

~Zach

Lane Burnsed said...

Ok, I see "The Great Debate" is going on here... Well... me personally have to 100% agree with Joseph. There is a difference in the "Magic" in LOTR, and in Harry Potter. I believe you did and awesome job Joe on this post... I honestly believe that people need to actually know the history of LOTR in order to make a good judgement call. For someone to watch the LOTR movies then make a judgement call... Cannot be accurate. And the wizards element of it is completely different on H.P. Than in LOTR. But thats for another post :)

Emily Swanky said...

I'm not saying that LOTR is necessarily baaaad or eeeevil... I was just wondering what Tolkien's reason was for as calling them "wizards" if that's not what they were...
Thanks for the explanation, Gui!
T'was very helpful!
Hope y'all are doing well... Been soo long since we've seen the Hopes!
God bless~
Emily

Joel said...

I shall refrain from posting anymore comments about the complexities of LOTR. Sorry for my thoughtlessness. I would enjoy a group discussion on this topic though.

Grace said...

Joseph, do you have a Facebook?

Grace said...

This is Emily, not Grace!

Joseph, I'm so sorry I didn't reply to your kind comments sooner.:( I really appreciate them. Thanks for visiting my blog!

Hmmm....Well, I thought the picture of you and Lauren was pretty good! HaHa! Alan seems to weigh a ton to me, although he is only 28 pounds!

I'm looking forward to your post about Boston!
Thanks again!
Emily

Anna Grace said...

Well Joe,
Since I sent you my comment in email form...I'll just make one quick note here.
I don't see LOTR as being on the same level of witchcraft with HP. Please understand that. A point that I see others have made is one I'd like to reiterate. "Why call them wizards if that's not what they are?"
We all know that the word "wizard" has certain magical/witchcraft connotations. I believe that's the main issue with some of us here. It is a matter of saying that the term is bad in one sense, and yet perfectly acceptable in another.
Again, I'm not trying to jump on anyone's opinion, just attempting to analyze terms for clarification. Good article, bravely written! God continue to bless you!
~Anna :)

Joseph H. said...

Greetings,

First off, The Reformation Post keeps getting horribly delayed. I've been very busy working on budgeting and now trying to put Lane to work... Running a company with 2 employees is extremely time consuming, even though they are part time. ;)

Anna:

I have tried already to explain your question, but I will try again one more time via a website called Tolkien Gateway:

Etymology of Wizards:

"Some have objected to The Lord of the Rings because it features wizards, which can mean a 'caster of spells.' However, Tolkien's Istari were not wizards in that common sense of the word, but rather more like 'wise men' or even 'messengers.' Tolkien, a lifelong philologist and devoted Catholic, deliberately used the word wizard, as it connoted 'wisdom' and conveniently conveyed to the reader the 'other worldly' powers of the characters. These sentiments were best worded by Tolkien himself in the first paragraph of the essay The Istari in the Unfinished Tales:

Wizard is a translation of Quenya istar (Sindarin ithron): one of the members of an "order" (as they call it), claiming to possess, and exhibiting, eminent knowledge of the history and nature of the World. The translation (through suitable in its relation to "wise" and other ancient words of knowing, similar to that of istar in Quenya) is not perhaps happy, since Heren Istarion or "Order of Wizards" was quite distinct from "wizards" and "magicians" of later legend; they belonged solely to the Third Age and then departed, and none save maybe Elrond, Círdan and Galadriel discovered of what kind they were or whence they came.

Don't you love Tolkien's hand??? If you read that fast your probably scratching your head!

Anyway, most of the nay-sayers of Tolkien have only seen the movie. Again, PLEASE do not judge the wizards in LOTR by the movie. It's like judging a book by its cover. If you crave more understanding, read the book and a few histories and then come talk to me!

I would also recommended listening to this very interesting message by Peter Kreeft. I have heard a couple of his messages on the LOTR and philosophy, and I found is recently through Grace Elizabeth's father's blog: http://everygoodpath.net/

Here is the link to the message:

http://www.peterkreeft.com/audio/04_lord-of-the-rings/peter-kreeft_ten-insights-on-evil.mp3"

I'm not sure that I agree with everything he says but I think he make some excellent points.

Thanks guys,
Joseph

Matthew Thomas said...

Joseph,

Very well done post! I'm enjoying following your blog and as we've been having several discussions with some of our friends, regarding Harry Potter vs. The Lord of the Rings, this one was especially good. I enjoy reading your position on it, it helped me see the part of "wizards" in Lord of the Rings a bit clearer. Keep up the great posts!
Matthew Thomas

P.S. If you want to hear an alternative view on Harry Potter and the Christian realm you may find the following 2 links interesting. 1. http://www.amazon.com/How-Harry-Cast-His-Spell/dp/1414321880#reader , this is a book link but if you preview it and read the first couple of pages you can see the idea behind it.
And 2. http://www.hplex.info/essays/essay-harry-potters-magic.html Food for thought. But don't delay your Ref-500 post! You can just ignore these until then :P. It opens up a whole new can of worms...

Marci said...

I found an excellent article very well written by a young man nearer your age. He says what I tried to say, but in a much better way.

http://instrumentsingodshands.blogspot.com/2009/07/is-it-permissible-for-christians-to.html